Steam Locomotive C16 106
Steam locomotive 106 was built at the Toowoomba Foundry in 1915 and was one of 15 locos built for Queensland Rail to its C16 requirements.
The C16 was designed in 1903 as an improved 4-8-0 loco and was built by various firms. By 1918 there were 152 C16’s in service with Queensland Rail. In the early 1920’s further developments of the basic design resulted in a new class which was introduced as the C17. This design with its improvements totalled 227 locos that served in Queensland and also on the Commonwealth Railway during WWII.
In July 1950 there were still 142 C16’s in service with Queensland Rail. However by the time of dieselisation in the 1970′s only 5 of the C16’s were still around. Only one of the class escaped the scrapper’s torch and was placed in the Redbank Rail Museum.
One of No. 106’s special duties was to bank a train pulled by the Lady MacGregor (No 694) which broke the blue ribbon at the opening of the “Drayton Deviation” (the present line from Toowoomba station to Wyreema) on 15th May 1915.
Number built 152
Year: 1903 – 18
Cylinder Diameter: 16 inches (406mm)
Cylinder stroke: 22 inches (558mm)
- Coupled: 45 inches (1143 mm)
- Tender: 33 inches (838mm)
Total Wheelbase: 45’0” (13.716m)
Total Height: 12’6” (3.81m)
Total Length: 52’5½” (15.988m)
Total Weight: 80.5 tons (81.8 tonnes)
Max Axle load: 8.25 tons (8.38 tonnes)
Water capacity: 3,000 gallons (13 637L)
Coal capacity: 8 tons (8.13 tonnes)
Total heating surface: 1,093 sq.ft. (101.5 sq m)